Monday, April 13, 2009

Helter Skelter

"When I get to the bottom I go back to the top of the slide Where I stop and turn and I go for a ride Till I get to the bottom and I see you again Yeah, yeah, yeah"



That song was in my head yesterday (not the Beatles one but theMotley Crue version 'natch) somewhere during my first ride back after a week of couch surfing and basically doing nothing except being sick. Rob Morley and me decided to think outside the box a bit and what we came up with was a wicked variation on the hill repeat theme - we did mountain repeats!
We headed to the base of Holston mtn where we parked and after a short warm-up, we hit it for the first of three reps to the top and back. Holston is a respectable climb, about 6 miles long and around 5-6% avg grade. It won't kill you but it will get your attention. The first lap up is pretty simple, anyone can climb it once. Lap 2 was about cold reality and finally lap 3 was, as Rob says, all blue collar. It was pretty rough. Probably not the best first ride back after a week off. It's my way of showing my body that I am not dealing with a full deck. Ah the life of manic-unstability.
The whole workout was only a little over 2 hours and although I wasn't wiped out at the end, I didn't want anymore either. I'll definitely add that one to my bag of evil tricks.

My view of Rob (who is younger and a lot lighter than me) leaving me to suffer alone.



Third lap. Blue collar suffering and character building............


.......An attempt at a artsy shot........

4 comments:

SCOOBY'S SNACKS said...

that last pic.............wow what a nasty bike. LOL

good job guys!

Riding with dogs said...

was that SS or gears?

Duckman said...

Gears yesterday. I was sick and off the bike for a week after all :)

MCF said...

Dude...the shadow picture....OMG - I could not stop laughing....that has to go in to the "phallic photo" folder!