Wednesday, March 12, 2008

I'm through with standin' in line to clubs I'll never get in

It's like the bottom of the ninth and I'm never gonna win. This life hasn't turned out quite the way I want it to be..........


It's not a secret to those of you that know me that I have a growing passion for playing guitar. I only wish I had started when I was 4 and not 40. Things may have been dramatically different now if I had done that. Any time you see your favorite group or artist on stage, no matter what your taste in music is, there is a lot going on, a lot more than you can see. I have learned that even the most simple sounding musical phrases can be pretty damn hard to play. It is alot of fun to learn though and I can see it becoming an obsession if I am not careful.

Like last night. I sat down with my Strat, flicked on my amp and proceeded to run through some scales and then on to some chords that I am learning. From there I went back and forth between scales and chords and that gets boring pretty quick so I rolled up the gain on my amp and dialed in a bit of chorus and a pinch of delay to get pretty close to a Pink Floyd sounding tone. I spent the next 4 hours learning Shine on You Crazy Diamond.

Yeah, it was like 2:30 when I realized how late it was. I am killed today and my fingers hurt but I learned a lot and I can play the first part and at least make it recognizable.

I'll make it some day. I may not have a tour bus full of old guitars but I'll bet I'll have alot of fun sitting around playing Black Sabbath and Metallica for my grandkids.

No comments: